Monday, June 20, 2011

Edith Woolley Jex Clayton

I am WAAAYYY behind on all sorts of things with my blog. It may not be in order, but I will start to try to cover some of the things that have happen in the last couple months...

April was a very hard month. My dear, sweet Grandma had a bad fall and broke her hip. She needed surgery, but being 91, surgery is hard. I knew she had had a good life, but still thinking about losing her was so hard for me. I rushed up to the hospital to be with her and my Aunt and Uncle who live with her. As always she was sucha trooper. She was in sooo much pain but was still kind and thankful for those who were there to see her. I was so happy to be there for her to wipe her mouth as she was struggling, hold her hand, brush her forehead, kiss her and tell her how wonderful she was. I can say that from that time in the hospital until she passed I was comforted by the Spirit. I wam so thankful for the gospel and the knowledge I have that this life is not the end. We will live again and see each other again. I know that she is happier where she is and she is with her wonderful eternal companion and friend again. I have never met my Grandpa Jex, but I know he is a loving wonderful person and she was very eager to be with him again.
I am grateful for a flexible job that allowed me to be able to take some time off and be with my Grandma while she was in the hospital. I know it was for the best, but having to state to the the hospital staff that she was not to be resuscitated if her body quite on her in surgery was such a hard thing to do. I would not want her to stay here in pain and in a state where she could not move or do anything, but saying that and thinking about what that meant was tough.
Thankfully she made it through surgery. That allowed her children and many of her grandchildren a chance to see her and say their goodbyes. I know she was in pain, but I could see the love in her eyes as people came by or skyped with her.
I am so grateful for a family willing to help out. My mother was able to come and be with her mother and sister for the last several days of my grandma's life. I know that was hard, but special for all of them. My mother and Aunt Marilyn are such amazing examples of service and love. I really grew to love them both even more.

I knew that my grandma would not want a picture of her laying in her hospital bed for her last several days, but I had to take a picture of my holding her hand to remember that special and spiritual time we had with her and the extended family. I know my grandpa was near and waiting to greet her on the other side. My aunt said it best. You have to struggle to get her through birth and you have to struggle to leave this life. I am just happy to know that my grandma's body is no longer slowing her down.

My grandma Edith was such a loving, service oriented, Christ-centered person. She was a person of faith, love, kindness and hard work. I've never met anyone who worked harder and loved serving more than her. She has taught me so much about being able to take care of yourself and others, loving family, developing your talents and so much more. She raised the best mother ever and loved all of her grandchildren. I cannot write enough about how much I love her and how dearly I miss her. I catch myself looking on my phone at fun pictures I took of her over the last several months to a year and it makes me love and miss her more. I am so blessed to have lived near her and had such a close relationship with her. I will never forget all of the laughs, talks and great moments we had.

Funerals are a time of reunion on both sides. Here are all of my Grandma's children.

Here is a fun snap shot of all of my family. It was so great to have all of the family, all of the grandchildren and great grandchildren there. I am sure she loved the gathering of all her family!

1 comment:

MEB said...

Great tribute to Grandma Kate. You got some good pictures.