Friday, April 9, 2010

Go to the Ohio....

Wow, wow... those are the words I can think of now. I just listened to the talk given by Elder Ronald A. Rasband during the Priesthood session, titled: The Divine Call of a Missionary. One of the counselors in my Bishopric encouraged us all to read or listen to it once it becomes available. I just went to the Church site and noticed they are up, so I decided to listen, rather than read it. POWERFUL and so awesome to hear. I would encourage you all to listen to it.

As you all know, I served my mission in the Ohio Cleveland Mission. I remember my dad and older sister, Alisa, saying that each call is specific and given to a person for a reason. Honestly, I thought, sure, any call is special and a person can have a great experience and do great work wherever they are called. I also thought, whether or not you learn another language is probably inspired as well. My older sister, Michelle, really did not want to learn a language and she was called to Denver, English speaking. So, I knew that calls were inspired, but not nearly as specific as Elder Rasband was able to share with us. Really? A member of the 12 pulled up my picture and prayed about ME? I really thought that it was a committee and they prayed about it, but not with pictures and with that degree of care and time. I am super emotional now as I write this. That is just such an amazing, overwhelming and wonderful thing to think about.

When I first got my call, if I am being honest, I was a little sad. I REALLLLY wanted to go somewhere out of the states and I wanted to learn Spanish. The main thing that really made me happier was that there was something special about my mission. I was also called to serve in the Kirtland Historic Sites. That was wonderful, as soon as I read that next line in my call, I was much happier. I had just returned from my semester in Nauvoo and the thought of going to more Church History Sites was so great. (Little did I know, then, about ALLLL the amazing events and revelations that actually took place in Kirtland).

I LOVED my mission. I would not trade it for any other mission, not even a Spanish speaking one... that is what Rosetta Stone is for, right?! :) I really feel like the people I met and the experiences I had were for me and I loved them all. As you may guess I am emotional still as I am writing this. The companions I had, the people I taught, the people I served with, even the mission president I had, it was all set up for me.... wow, what a realization! I am so blessed. I am sooo grateful for my opportunity to serve a mission, to be part of helping members strengthen their testimonies or investigators begin to gain or begin to have interest in gaining their own testimony. I feel SOOO honored to have been entrusted with a key to the Whitney Store. TO be able to pray where Joseph prayed, learn and have meetings in the School of the Prophets. To be able to have stood where the Savior and Heavenly Father stood. To be able to testify of them, wow, it almost feels like it was a dream. I am so grateful for my knowledge of the plan of salvation, of the Savior and His life and mission. He lives and is at the head of this great work, nothing can stop the work from progressing!

BTW: I just planned a trip back to Kirtland with my parents in about a month. How wonderful will that be?! I cannot wait. I will take my new fancy camera and take pictures for you all to see.

2 comments:

Lauren and Trevor said...

Kate, thank you for your words. I really can relate to your feelings of being a little disappointed by my call but then realizing later on why I was supposed to be where I was and how I would not trade it for anything. Thanks for recommending the talk - I am going to read it. And by the way I love Ohio. I wish we were a little closer to Kirtland so that we could see you when you come out!

lorraine said...

Your parents are excited for this trip too!