I entered the MTC...
The decision was made...

While I was at Ricks, I thought I would, for sure, get married before I was in the position to decide whether or not I should go on a mission. As my 21st birthday was approaching, I found myself out of a wonderful relationship (I thought I would marry him, but we prayed and it just was not the right timing). I was frustrated and a bit bugged at the time, but now I realize why I needed to not get married at that stage in my life.
After Ricks, I followed in my older sister's footsteps and did a semester through BYU in Nauvoo. I cannot even tell you how much I LOVED that time. I met some of my favorite people and I had some of the most sacred and personal experience in my life. The above picture is our entire JSA (Joseph Smith Academy) group. We are in front of the statue of Hyrum and Joseph outside Carthage Jail. I do not believe I took a picture on the day I will tell you about, but it was at this location.
I decided to pray about going on a mission. I had wanted to go if I was not married, because I love the church and naturally wanted to share that with others. During a recent conference, at that time, President Hinckley had talked about the fact that more girls were going on missions. He thought it was a wonderful thing, but wanted to make sure we all knew that it was not a commandment for us, like it is for the young men. We should also not go simply because we are 21 and not married. This talk really hit home. I did not want to be one of those girls. I had the desire to go, but was it really what I was suppose to do at that time in my life. I thought about it often at Ricks, but never prayed specifically for an answer (I think I was afraid of the answer - it meant I needed to take action). While I was in Nauvoo a good friend talked about his mission and how wonderful and life changing it was. I talked to another friend about how excited he was to be 19 and serve a mission. So, with all the wonderful examples, and amazing places around me making me constantly think about a mission... I decided it was time to actually pray for my answer.
I cannot describe to you in words the many wonderful and sacred things I felt that fast Sunday, but I can tell you that I knew I was suppose to go on a mission! I got this little kid excitement and I could not wait to tell people and have my interviews and doctors appointments so I could go. My wonderful mother set up all my doctor appointments up for me so I could have them all taken care of in the first two weeks I was home from Nauvoo. My mother is amazing!
So, the decision was made and I never looked back. I can tell you I am a different and better person because of the answer I got that day and the decision I made to serve a mission.
I loved the MTC. It was a little training ground that gave you the tools and confidence you need to go into the world and spread the good word of the gospel.
When I first opened my call and it said Ohio Cleveland Mission, I have to admit, I was sad. I really wanted to go foreign and speak Spanish. But as soon as I read the next line that said you will also serve in the Kirtland Historic Sites, I was stoked. Once I got there, I realized I knew nothing of the happenings of Kirtland and the Ohio time period - but after being in Nauvoo, I knew it was a wonderful thing. I also thought it was cool that both my Dad and I would serve in 'Church History' missions.
Again, the experiences I had in Kirtland cannot be put into words. I can tell you it is one of the most sacred places I have ever stood and I get emotional just thinking about all that I experienced there.
Goodbye was the hardest part. Saying goodbye and handing back my key to the Newel K. Whitney Store was perhaps the hardest I cried on my mission. Saying good by the the people I worked with, as well as the Cutlers and all the other missionaries was so hard. If you look close, you will see a red face and very red eyes... I could not hold back my emotions at all this day.
I am so grateful for my wonderful parents who have taught me from the Book of Mormon and the gospel since I was little. My wonderful siblings, who have always been such great examples and cheerleaders for me. Also, for all the wonderful friends and people the Lord has allowed to come into my life. I have grown from everyone, family, friends, investigators, companions, teachers, etc.
Sorry for all the personal 'stuff' in this post, but I am using this as a journal for me too. :)
6 comments:
I remember getting your letters on your mission and loved them! Kirtland Ohio is a better place because of you! Your enthusiasm for the gospel is contagious!
great kate! loved hearing that story!
p.s. for sure spoted you in a second in the first picture with your cute yellow sweater! :)
Thanks for sharing that experience. It was fun to read. It brought back memories of my mission since I was on my mission while you were deciding to go. The Lord knew Kirtland would be the perfect place for you. I loved going back to Kirtland with you before Brock left on his mission. It was so fun to hear all of your stories and walk down memory lane with you.
Love you-M
Keep on sharing the "personal stuff" - I love the stories. :)
Thanks Kate.
I do not think I ever knew that.
I have stayed up way to late reading your blog tonight but it's been FUN.
See you in a week. :)
I thank you for sharing your memories on this day. I do remember you sharing this with Dad and I years ago! What a blessing that you are writing it down--Great journal keeping! I loved our visit to Kirtland a few months after your return and how great it was to here you share with us about all the revelations and events at Kirtland and the surrounding areas!! IT was AWESOME! Dad wants to take a return trip with you giving us the "tour" again!! FUN!
Post a Comment