Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Living in a Land of Plenty...

I had an interesting experience this weekend that made me stop and think. It is nothing huge, just one of those times you stop and realize how blessed you are.

I was printing some information off my computer when my printer stopped, the lights flashed and it told me I was out of paper. Without hesitation I went to grab more paper... to my total surprise, I was out. Completely out! I do not remember taking the last of my printer paper. (I am thinking I didn’t – why would I just leave the empty sleave the paper was in, on my shelf? You never know with roommates. Had someone borrowed some paper without telling me or had I really run out and not realized?)

Anyway, the purpose to this whole story is to say how blessed I am to live in a place where I can drive 1 minute and pick up more paper with almost no break in my rhythm for the day. I live in such a “Costco portion” world that it makes you stop and think when you actually run completely out of an item. I even went looking in my scrapbook supplies. I couldn’t believe it, I had NO white printing paper, only cardstock.

I had a flashback to when I first moved out and was living on my own at Ricks. You don’t realize all the “little stuff” you take for granted when you live at home. So, as an end to this story, let me just say, I am blessed with many material items that make my life easier. I am grateful for them and had a moment to realize I live with great ease in this wonderful country.

2 comments:

Rosander said...

We are so truly blessed. I am amazed at how much we really do have!

MEB said...

God Bless the USA!