Tuesday, September 23, 2008

If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear...

A couple weeks ago I was asked to help put together an activity for my ward. We needed to prepare 72 hour kits for our ward. I was excited to get started on the activity. After a couple check ins, it turned out I was basically in charge of the activity.... I put my thinking and working hats on and got to work. I did a lot of research and calculating to figure out the best way to get everyone an affordable 72 hour kit.... After exploring many avenues, I came across Emergency Essentials: http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1222306709 . I almost did not even 'give it a chance'. I assumed because it is a 'specialty store' it would, naturally, be more expensive... I was wrong! They are very reasonably priced and great to work with.

In the end I was able to get a 72 Hour 'starter' Kit for only $18 a piece. I am happy to say that we had a pretty good turn out... 67 people purchased kits and even more participated in the activity. I gathered several handouts and ideas (including the pamphlets the Church has:
http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html.)

Some good ideas I thought I would share with all of you:
* Rotate your food and clothes twice a year
* Keep a flashlight at the top of your kit so you can easily find it.
* Keep your kit close to an exit or in your car
* Put an ICE (In Case of an Emergency) contact in your cell phone
-this can be used in an accident, disaster, or the case of a lost phone
* Make sure you have an escape route and plan with your family/roommates
* Have a meeting place in case you are separated (2 - one close, and the other further)
* During the Winter - keep your gas tank no lower than half empty
* Inform others of your trips and what routes you will take in case something happens

I could go on and on. A great quote I came across was from President Kimball: "The responsibility for each person's social, emotional, spiritual, physical, or economic well-being rests first upon himself, second upon his family, and third upon the Church if he is a faithful member thereof. No true Latter-day Saint, while physically or emotionally able, will voluntarily shift the burden of his own or his family's well-being to someone else."

Probably my favorite and the most powerful quote I found was from President Benson in 1980: "The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah." If that statement from a prophet does not 'push' you into action... I don't know what will.

I don't know why or when I will need my kit or other food storage, but I feel better knowing I am prepared and following the prophets. I would encourage you all to look into a 72 hour kit... if nothing else to start your preparation. Thank you to my great friends: Becky, Jake and Melinda for all their help with the activity. I could not have pulled it off in the end without their crucial last minute help and assistance!! THANK YOU!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Way to go! My family put 72 hour kits together as a part of our family reunion in June and it feels so peaceful to have it taken care of. We decided to rotate it during Conference and have a 72 hour kit party. That way we remember to keep it updated. You are awesome!

Uffens Family said...

That is awesome and a great reminder...for forever my plan has been to get to WA and live off my parents :) sad I know...guess I need to start getting ready myself :)

MEB said...

You did a GREAT job! Leave it to you to plan a whole ward activity all by yourself! You never cease to amaze me. :)

Alisa said...

Go you! I am proud of you. Make sure you send me your information. President Benson's quote is so very good! I loved it. I used it in my lesson this year as well!